Curb Appeal – How to build Shutters

Gannon and I have slowly been working trying to improve the front appearance of our home. We’ve redone the flowerbeds, painted the front door, and decided to finally replace our shutters. Our old shutters were black and I loved that look, but I wanted to try something new this time.Β  I’ve noticed some houses around town had stained shutters and I loved the look of it, but was scared it wouldn’t go with the color of our brick. But I thought I would take a chance and see how they turned out!

Here is the picture of the before…

IMG_7090

We pretty much looked like the haunted house on the street with the crooked shutters πŸ™‚

IMG_7087

IMG_7084

I had to throw in these older pictures of our flowerbeds! Look how much they have filled in since we first planted them!

IMG_4075

IMG_4067

IMG_7079

We headed out to the store that steals all our money {Lowes} and loaded up the truck with all the supplies.

photo 1-11

We bought framing lumber that was 10 feet long. It was perfect because we could just cut them in half since our shutters only had to be 5 feet long. And that saves a little bit of money!

photo 4-8

Gannon attached the shutters together with some screws in the back. We didn’t want to put any in the front because we knew they wouldn’t weather very well.

photo 5-6

IMG_7132

Since we decided to try out the stain we had to make sure we got one that was made for the outdoors and could withstand all the weather conditions. This particular stain came highly recommended.

IMG_2816

Olympic Elite Gallon Can Size Tintable Base 1 Solid Exterior Stain (Actual Net Contents: 120-fl oz)

We noticed that unlike indoor stain this one seems to take longer to dry. And Oklahoma’s humidity doesn’t help either!

photo

To attach the shutters to the brick we used these flush mount hangers.

IMG_7139

IMG_7138

IMG_7144

IMG_7146

IMG_7151

IMG_7152

IMG_7155

Here’s a close up! Gannon decided to cut the edges of the cross piece with a 45 degree miter angle. This just gives it a little more detail.

IMG_7167

IMG_7165

IMG_7164

IMG_7163

IMG_7175

IMG_7179

Overall, this project cost us about $150. So for very little money and time it can make a big difference in the curb appeal of your home!

Hope you all have a wonderful week!!

XO,

Kate πŸ™‚


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s